A Family Day at Heritage Park Historical Village
The Heritage Park Historical Village covers 127 acres and provides Calgary residents with a great view of the Glenmore Reservoir. This is one of the top family-friendly attractions in the area and features many educational museums, events and more. With 180 exhibits throughout the park, you can relive history through the collection of artifacts and the costumed townsfolk.
Some of the different attractions include:
- The Railway Car Shop - Tour the shop and see some of the best of Canada's rail antiques.
- Replica building of a 1860s Fur Trading Fort
- Aboriginal Encampment
- Sam Livingston's original home
- Burnside Ranch House - You can even make old-style ice cream on the porch.
- 1910 Prairie Railroad Town - Full of great places to shop and eat
- An Authentic Steam Train
- Cruse the park on Calgary's only paddlewheeler
- Horse-drawn wagon tours
- Antique Ferris Wheel
- Gasoline Alley Museum
Once you enter the front gates, you can experience the Heritage Town Square, which is a representation of the urban streetscape through the mid-1900s. Featuring plenty of sandstone and big band music, this area will take you back to a different time in history.
Visitors can also enjoy the Haskayne Mercantile Block, which features many shops including:
- Switzer's Grocery and Confectionery - Full of gourmet goodies, candy, fresh bread and more.
- The Plaza Mercantile - Featuring collectables, books and leather products.
- The Corner Emporium - Full of vintage toys and other treasures for children.
- Park Lane Portrait Studio - The Perfect place to get your vintage pictures taken.
- Antiques and Collectables - Filled with plenty of collectables, silver and other antique items.
The Village opens daily at 9:30am and stays open until 4pm. Adult admission is $9.99 per day and children under 17 are $4.89. They also offer a family admission for $29.76, which includes two adults and up to four children. If you plan to visit more than once, Heritage Park offers summer passes and annual passes.