Best Things To Do During The Calgary Stampede
The month of July is the time when Calgary's given nickname truly does the city justice — Cowtown. Each year, at the beginning of July, Calgarians don their cowboy/cowgirl hats, pull up their boots, and put on their best plaid for a week that is always memorable. The Calgary Stampede — happening from July 5th to 14th , 2019!
The Calgary Stampede has been dubbed 'The Greatest Show on Earth,' and has been happening every year since 1912. It is in this week of country celebration that you will find some of the most unique and strange food experiences, exhilarating rides, country music, entertaining shows, and so much more — right on the Calgary Stampede grounds. But you don't need to limit yourself to the grounds to enjoy the abundance of other things to do for Stampede. Ready to take advantage of the goings-on for ultimate 2019 stampeding? Take a look at the best things to do during the Calgary Stampede this year that aren't on the Midway!
Calgary Stampede Parade
Happening on July 5th, head downtown with your lawn chairs, coffees, and kids to see floats, horses, dancers, and other stampede attractions in the Stampede Parade.
This highly anticipated parade will begin at 9AM by the Calgary Tower on 9th Avenue and continue down towards the river. It will then turn and come back along 6th Avenue, finishing just near City Hall. Seating to view the parade is anywhere along the sidewalks of 6th and 9th Avenue, and is first come first serve – the earlier you arrive, the better spot you will be able to claim!
If you prefer to watch the parade in comfort, there are options available to do this as well. The Calgary Stampede offers a Parade Day Package for $135 that includes a parking pass, transportation to/from the park, one reserved bleacher seat for the parade, a rodeo ticket, and souvenir program. Otherwise, pack your sunscreen and best western gear and find a seat along the route to enjoy the festivities!
Calgary Stampede Breakfasts
A few years ago, a local Calgarian decided to see how many free stampede breakfasts he could eat at in one week — done as an attempt to raise money and support local charities. Needless to say, his 'Pancakegeddon' challenge proved fruitful and he was happily sated after successfully eating at a total of 36 Stampede breakfasts over the 8 days. The moral of the story... there are ample opportunities to devour pancakes all week long!
The week of the Calgary Stampede is one where businesses, organizations, community centers, and neighbourhoods come together to serve up flapjacks! Aside from the guaranteed food, most breakfasts include activities for children (dependent upon host/location) as well as music, dancing, and other happenings! Some of the upcoming featured Stampede Breakfasts include:
- Calgary West Rotary Club Stampede Parade Gourmet Breakfast — July 5th, 7-9am ($55 ticket price)
- 12th Annual Mustard Seed Stampede Barbecue — July 5th, 11am-2pm
- Marlborough Mall Stampede Breakfast — July 6th, 9-11am
- Calgary Vegan Pancake Breakfast at Bridgeland Riverside — July 6th, 9-12pm
- New Horizon Mall Stampede 'Breakfast for Dinner' — July 6th, 4-7pm
- Cenovus Family Day Breakfast — July 7th, 8:30-11am
- Cross Iron Mills Stampede Breakfast — July 8th, 9-11am
- Market Mall Shopping Centre Stampede Breakfast — July 9th, 9-11am
- Southcentre Shopping Centre Stampede Breakfast — July 10th, 9-11am
- Sunridge Mall Stampede Breakfast — July 12th, 9-11am
- Coventry Hills Centre Stampede Breakfast — July 13th, 9-11am
- Wood's Homes Parkdale Stampede Breakfast — July 10th, 7:30-11am
For a complete listing of Calgary Stampede breakfasts, be sure to check out the Stampede Breakfast website for a detailed calendar. As well, keep an eye out in your immediate area for locally hosted Stampede breakfasts to take part in.
Calgary Stampede Music Events
Singers, songwriters, and musicians all come together to showcase their talent during this week of country-themed festivities. Throughout the city, you will find open-mic nights, country music shows in local pubs and cafes, and spontaneous show bands. Of the many music events going on in the city, some of these exciting events are:
- Cowboys Music Festival at Cowboys — July 4-14th
- Badlands Music Festival — July 4-15th
- Wildhorse Saloon featured concerts — July 4-12th
- Stampede Partiology at Big Al's Bar & Grill — July 5th
- Big Rock Barn Burner at Big Rock Brewery — July 6th
- The Roundup Music Fest at Shaw Millenium Park — July 10th
- Showbands Live! at McMahon Stadium — July 10th
- Red Solo Cup Party featuring Shannon Smith at Deerfoot Inn & Casino — July 13th
Aside from these music events taking place outside of the Midway, you can find major artists performing at the Scotiabank Saddledome as well as the many stages on Stampede grounds for the duration of the Calgary Stampede. For a complete list of performing artists, head to the Calgary Stampede main music lineup website.
Other Stampede Events
Once you have filled yourself with pancakes and swayed to the music, there is still more for you to do! There are a number of other stampede-themed events and fundraisers taking place throughout Calgary — including everything from parties to rodeos. A few of these events include the following:
- 3rd Annual Emergency Services Stampede Party at Ranchman's — July 6th
- Black Tie & Blue Jeans Gala, featuring George Canyon — July 6th
- Cowboys Music Festival: Cowboys Cook-Off BBQ, hosted by Guy Fieri — July 11th
- 2nd Annual Average Joe Rodeo at Lions Rodeo — July 13th
- Brunch Reinvented with Jann Arden — July 14th
For more Stampede events, be sure to check the City of Calgary's event page, the Calgary Tourism page, Eventbrite, and search for local events on Facebook to find more Stampede-themed events and activities.