Calgary will Soon get a New Restaurant Called Swine and Sow
In YYC pork is found on menus everywhere and pork takes front and center at the Swine and Sow Wine & Ale House.
In the Chinese zodiac the year of the Pig is over 10 years away, however, 2014 seems to be providing swine in its glory of ham, bacon and barbecue goodness. So much so, that it is even the focal point in the name of the Swine and Sow restaurant.
History of Swine and Sow
CA restaurants purchased the Parker House. It served up 1920’s-era food and the building was too formal and stuffy for the crowds they wanted to attract. CA Restaurants also own Murrieta’s, Trib and The Cellar.
They quickly moved the bar to the center of the room. It became a “Farmhouse Tavern” with the splashes of red that were incorporated throughout.
Approximately 20 dishes are featured on the menu with daily specials and pork even snuck into dessert dishes. Some options are:
- Pork and Veal Meatballs
- Scotch Eggs Wrapped In Chorizo
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Shredded Pork Hocks
- House-Cured Pork Belly and Back Bacon Swine Burger
- Maple-Bacon Crème Brulee
- Monday-Friday Porchetta
- Pork Osso Buco on a Bed of Grits
Chef Ian Smith will always use local producers to stock his kitchen and will also provide dishes to non-pork lovers such as:
- Roasted Halibut with Goat Feta and Green Lentil Salad
- Lamb Sirloin with Farro Risotto
- Pulled Jerk Chicken
- Creamed Onion Soup
- Steelhead Trout over a White Bean Cassoulet
There is an assortment of beverages to choose from also:
- Approximately 24 Beers on Tap
- More Bottled Beer Available
- Large List of Wines
- A Creative Cocktail Menu that includes some mixed drinks containing Bacon Vokda even!
As it turns out, maybe 2014 was more of the “Year of the Pig” than the Chinese zodiac had thought it would be.Posted by Justin Havre on