There's Nothing Better Than a Backyard Skating Rink Here in Calgary
In the northeast section of Calgary you'll find a private pond with a skating rink on it that has become a popular winter hotspot for the neighbors around it. Norm Price, the property owner, decided to create a skating rink with his friends at his site on 84 St. N.E. close to McKnight Blvd. it took about 400 hours to complete the rink, which is open from 9 am till 10 pm daily to the public and is completely free to use.
Build your own backyard rink
If you feel inspired to build your own rink this year it's not that hard to get it all set up. It's a great form of exercise for the kids right in your backyard and it will soon become a neighborhood gathering spot. Here's how to make a backyard rink in the simplest and cheapest fashion.
1. Clear an area of your yard where the rink will go of any obstructions or rocks. Measure the area and the perimeter that you plan on covering.
2. Head to your local home improvement or hardware store to purchase lumber measuring 2" x 10" that will fit around the outside of the rink. You’ll also need to pick up enough bolts to get the boards fastened correctly as well as a tarp. The tarp should be big enough to cover not only the area of the rink but should be able to overhang the boards as well.
3. Lay out the lumber, bolt the pieces together and then pull out the tarp.
4. Lay out the tarp evenly so that all of the edges overhang the lumber. Tuck in the extra overhanging tarp under the wood. This will stop any water from leaking out when you're closing your rink.
5. Start hosing! Cover the area so that there is approximately 1 inch of water resting on the tarp and then wait for it to freeze. Once it has completely frozen add another inch of water at a time until the ice and wood are about level.
As long as the weather stays consistently at -10°C or lower, your rink will be ready for action within a few days. It's definitely worth the effort when you see your kids using the rink day after day with their friends - and they definitely will!Posted by on