What Type of Wood and Finish is Best for Your Calgary Deck?
With the weather starting to warm up and patio season right around the corner, you may be considering adding a deck to your property. When this is the case, there are plenty of decisions to make. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right wood and finish for your new deck.
The Wood Makes a Difference
There are a number of different types of wood used for decks. Choosing the right wood will make a difference. The best choices include:
- Redwood - Naturally decay-resistant, doesn't split, doesn't warp and provides an easy type of wood to work with.
- Cedar - Will resist most rot, insect infestations and moisture.
- Exotic Wood - Some exotic choices are very durable, but they will be more expensive, too.
- Douglas Fir - This very strong wood will resist decay, insects and mold.
These are a few of the most popular wood choices for your new deck.
Which Finish is Best?
Another very important decision to make is the finish you will use for your deck. Some finishes won't fit with every type of wood and others will provide a deck that will last for decades. When considering your deck finish, a few popular choices include:
- Solid Stain - Your deck will receive a rich finish complimenting the wood when you use stain. This type of finish will also protect your wood from weathering.
- Clear Water Sealer - If you want to maintain the natural grain and colour of the wood, a clear water seal is the best choice.
- Paint - A very inexpensive finish is paint. However, you will have to touch it up every few years and it will take away from the natural look of the wood.
- Tinted Waterproofer - Another finish choice is a tinted waterpoofer. You will need to recoat your deck every few years, but this can add a little extra colour to the natural wood.
Make sure you choose the best wood and the best finish for your deck. With the right choices, you can have a beautiful deck for many years without the worry of rot, insect infestation or any other issue.