Where can you Picnic in the Mountains Near Calgary?
A picnic is a great way to spend the day together as a family or as a couple. If you didn't know, Calgary is home to over 3,200 picnic tables and over 400 barbeque sites, just inside the city. However, there are other places to enjoy a picnic, too. Here are a few of the top spots to enjoy your next Calgary picnic.
Within the city, you will find a number of great parks for picnicking. Three of the top choices include:
- Caburn Park - 67 Riverview Drive S.E. - This park provides a number of picnic spots with plenty to see. It's known for Great Blue Herons and plenty of waterfowl. You can also fish here or paddle down the river.
- Pearce Estate Park - 1440 17A Street S.E. - Another good city choice is Pearce Estate Park. With 15-hectares of wetland and plenty of picnic tables, this is a local favourite.
- Shouldice Park - 4900 Monserrat Drive N.W. - Not only can you picnic here, but you can also enjoy plenty of athletics. The park provides tennis, baseball, soccer and more
Of course, if you want to enjoy the quiet and the great views, a mountain picnic spot is the way to go. Top spots for a mountain picnic include:
- Quarry Lake - A short drive to Canmore will provide you with one of the best places for a picnic near Calgary. This spot provides beautiful views of the mountains and amazing water. You won't find any fire pits here, so make sure you pack an old-fashioned picnic.
- Canoe Meadows - Another good spot with plenty of great picnic areas is Canoe Meadows. You will need to book a campsite to enjoy this area, but you can spend the weekend hiking, rafting, canoeing, kayaking and picnicking.
- Sheep Falls- Maybe you want to enjoy the romance and beauty of an area waterfall. If so, Sheep Falls is the right place for you. It's found at Sheep River Provincial Park and provides plenty of great spots for a picnic.
Whether you prefer to stay in the city or head to the mountains, you will find a great picnic spot near Calgary for your next outdoor meal.